Good question, and we’re glad you asked. There are a couple of options.
First of all cracks in in-ground gunnite pools don’t always leak and consequently you don’t always have to fix them. If you see a hairline crack it might not necessarily mean you have to fix them because they might not be leaking or leaking enough to matter.
If you do suspect the crack is leaking try one of these options:
1. Inject dye next to the crack and watch and see if the dye gets sucked into the crack.
2. A dye-free option is to clean the swimming pool, and then within a day or two check out the crack and see if dirt or debris to begin building up in the crack.
If you determine the crack is leaking you probably want to put an end to it. You have two options:
1. Calcium Ball: This is a DIY measure. A calcium ball is a mixture of cement and calcium mixed with enough water that you can form it to a ball. You’ll take the calcium ball and either reach under the water or get in the pool and rub it into the crack. This works because calcium makes cement set or “go off” very quickly. This often works and works well, but it’s likely you’ll eventually have another crack. It’s worth a try but not necessarily a long term solution. (This option is if you have a traditional white plaster pool)
2. The best way to fix a crack is to drain a pool, exposing the crack, and hire a professional (like us) who will take a diamond blade saw and cut the crack open two inches wide and two inches deep the length of the crack. We will then fill the bottom of the crack with an industrial grade caulking product and patch in the plaster 1-2 days later, after the caulking has cured. Doing that is a much more permanent way to fix the crack, although there are no guarantees because pools may still be settling.
There you have it! If you’re having problems with cracks in your pool, give us a call at 801-208-9527 to fix your Utah pool.
Yah we said it, we think we’re the best Swimming Pool Company in Utah. Why? Well, lot’s of reasons. We’d love to tell you about some of them.
Reasons We’re the Best Swimming Pool Company in Utah:
- We service all areas of the Wasatch Front from Ogden to Spanish Fork and everything in between, and we don’t charge you extra for coming to your corner of the Utah neighborhood.
- We specialize in swimming pool and spa service, repair, and remodeling for swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs in Utah. We know this crazy Utah weather and the effects on your swimming pool and hot tub equipment so no matter if you live in Salt Lake City, Alpine, or Orem, we’re got you covered (well, we’ve got your pool covered, that is).
- Our business is based on the principal that every swimming pool and spa owner should get the best service, all the time, without having to pay an extravagant price. It may seem unusual, but we think a highly customized level of swimming pool and spa service shouldn’t be so hard to come by.
- Lifeguard Pools and Spas provides the highest level of customer service by arriving on time, thoroughly completing the agreed upon work in a timely manner, and charging a fair price. It seems we’re just old fashioned that way.
Intrigued? Then give us a call to find out more: 801-208-9527.
Still curious about what areas of Utah we service: Check out the handy list below:
- Salt Lake City,
- South Jordan
Image via Wikipedia
The sudden change of weather makes us wish for warmer pool party days. It seems like just yesterday (or at least just last month) that you could take a dip in the pool, fire up the BBQ, and enjoy a late evening outdoors.
Geez, aren’t we putting a damper on the winter party! At least we have our hot, hot tubs to keep us warm for the next few months.
Some of our favorite things about winter include:
- The holidays: bring on the cookies!
- Toddlers and snow: a pretty entertaining mix.
- The Nutcracker: we’re suckers for this winter classic
- Food: yes, lot’s and lot’s of food.
What are your favorite things about winter?